Happy 2015! I feel like there’s a buzz in the air about this new year…have you felt it? People are up to big things. There’s a shift in consciousness happening and people aren’t settling anymore…including me and I want you to come along! This is going to be an extraordinary year for those of us that are willing to say yes to ourselves and our happiness.
Hopefully you took some time over the last week to reflect on the joy, wins and grateful moments from last year. Now it’s time to set some intentions for this next year.
As I shared in an earlier post, Danielle LaPorte’s Desire Map is one of my favorite books. Danielle looks at goal setting from a place of deciding how we want to feel and then aligning our goals accordingly. Instead of the traditional way, which is to set a goal and then hope we feel something good when we achieve that goal. The truth is that you’re not really chasing that goal, what you’re really after is how you think you’ll feel when you reach it.
Want to know the secret to happiness? Decide how you want to feel and start feeling it. No matter what else is going on around you. Before you have the new job, before you’re in the dream relationship or have that smokin’ body. You are in control of how you feel. No one else has the ability to make you feel anything unless you allow it. If joy is what you want to feel start finding the joy all around you. Start cultivating that feeling and watch the things around you change.
Here’s how to start:
1. Take some time this week and think about what you would like to feel this year. Come up with 5-7 feelings to map your goals to.
Here are some “feeling” words to get you going:
Abundant Adventure Affluent Alive Amazement At ease Attractive Balanced Bold Brave Brilliant Calm Centered Clear Confident Courageous Creative Daring Delighted Desired Easy Elegant Empowered Energized Fabulous Feminine Free Fulfilled Graceful Grounded Happy Healthy Important Innovative Inspired Intrigued Joyful Loved Magical Mindful Masculine Nourished Open Optimistic Passionate Peace Playful Powerful Prosperous Purposeful Relaxed Romantic Rooted Safe Seen Serene Spontaneous Strong Thankful Unified Unique Useful Vibrant
2. Now think about why you want to feel these feelings? How will your life change if you are feeling what you want to feel? How will you show up differently for your loved ones, in your career and for yourself? When we get clear on our “why”, create the space for the feelings to manifest and we connect with what we want at an even deeper level.
3. Come up with 3-5 goals for the year that when they become realized, will enhance what your desired feelings are.
Here are some examples:
If you want to feel adventurous, you might:
- Visit Colorado and hike your first 14er.
- Sign up for flying lessons.
- Move to a new city!
If you want to feel inspired, you might:
- Plan a trip to Mexico. The vibrancy of the culture, music, food, and dance inspires you!
- Commit to listening to or reading something inspiring for 30 minutes each day.
- Rent a beach house for the summer so you can spend each morning painting the sunrise.
If you want to feel useful, you might:
- Become a volunteer helper in your child’s classroom.
- Look for one way to help and be useful each day. Hold a door for a stranger, pick up someone else’s trash, or offer your seat on a crowded train.
- Offer yourself as a mentor to a young new employee in your organization.
Once you begin this practice, you’ll realize there are many paths – large goals and smaller everyday ways – to your desired feelings!
I’d love to hear from you! Share your 2015 goals and desired feelings with me below in the comments!